Sunday, August 12, 2012

postheadericon Lazy Daisy Cake





I recently saw a blog post on another site asking what desserts reminded the reader of their childhood.  Immediately, I thought of lazy daisy cake, which was my birthday cake of choice for many years growing up.

I did a quick internet search for a recipe, although I know the recipe my mother used was from the Fanny Farmer Cookbook (which was really the only cookbook I can remember her using).  Although the recipe I found uses a "from scratch" cake, don't feel bad if you just use the frosting on a mix cake; I am pretty sure this was what my mom did all those years ago!  I hope you enjoy this recipe!

Lazy Daisy Cake
from TasteOfHome.com

Cake

4 eggs
2 c sugar
2 teas vanilla extract
2 c flour
2 teas baking powder
1/2 teas salt
1 c milk
1/2 c butter

Frosting

1 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
3/4 c butter, melted
1/2 c half-and-half
2 c flaked coconut



Lazy Daisy Cake


Directions




  • In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick.  Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the egg mixture.  In a small saucepan, bring the milk and butter to a boil, stirring constantly. Add to batter and beat until combined.  The batter will be rather thin. 
  • Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes.  
  • While the cake is baking, combine the frosting ingredients; spread over warm cake. Broil 4 in. from heat until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes. 
Oh, enjoy this one!  Thanks Mom for always making this for me when I asked!

8/13 Update:  I spoke with my mom today and she saw the blog and said she "always made the cake from scratch."  So I stand corrected.  :)  It would be great either way!!




Linking up here: 

It's Overflowing
Chef In Training
Mixitup

The 36th AVENUE


Photobucket

0 replies:


Sara
Follow Me on Pinterest
Tasty Food Photography eBook

Follow Me On Twitter

Reader Favorites

Topics