Thursday, August 16, 2012

postheadericon Cookbook Corner: Farm to Fork



I hate to admit it, I am recommending a cookbook by Emeril Lagasse.  I didn't really like him when he first came on the scene; all of the BAMS!  and the like.  But now, I feel a little different about Emeril.

That guy made the Food Network and then they let him go.  Now, he is a kinder and gentler Emeril.  I actually enjoy him interacting with Martha Stewart and I am happy he has a show on the Hallmark Channel.  I even watch it from time to time!

This cookbooks is great for anyone with a home garden or who frequents a local farmer's market.  It is divided by vegetable with many recipes in each section.  This isn't a super-new cookbook; as you can see, I picked mine up at Half Price Books.

I have made a few recipes and all have turned out great.  A sampling of a few of the recipes I would like to try:

Homemade Applesauce
Cranberry Orange Sauce
Emeril's Anytime Eggnog
Herbed Quiche with Blue Cheese
Roasted Garlic Soup

So yummy (and lots of pictures).  I wanted to share with you a recipe for a hot potato salad, which we enjoyed a few weeks ago.  Here we go!

Warm Potato Salad
by Emeril Lagasse

3 oz bacon (you will see I used ham instead)
1 c sweet onion, diced
2 lbs baby potato (such as fingerling)
6 c water
2 T salt
1 T whole grain mustard
1 T black pepper
1 T honey
1/4 c cider vinegar
1/2 c vegetable oil
3 T minced chives (I used dill, because I love it)




1. Place the bacon in a pan and saute until crisp, about 5 minutes.  Add the onions and cook until they are soft, about 4 minutes.  Remove from heat.

2. Cut potatoes into 1/4 inch slices and place them in a sauce pan.  Add the water and salt and bring to a boil.  Then reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are cooked, about 5 minutes.  Drain the potatoes and set aside.

3. In a medium bowl, combine the mustard, pepper, honey and vinegar.  Whisk to combine.  Add the oil in a steady stream while continuing to whisk.  Add the chives.  Add the potatoes and bacon-onion mixture, and stir gently to combine.  Serve warm!




That's it!  Very easy, for sure.  So give this cookbook a try, you will love it!


Photobucket

0 replies:


Sara
Follow Me on Pinterest
Tasty Food Photography eBook

Follow Me On Twitter

Reader Favorites

Topics