Sunday, October 10, 2010

postheadericon Sunday night cooking

Hello All!  Well Sunday night for me is usually dedicated to big time cooking.  I try to cook enough on Sunday to get me through most of my week.

I actually got started on Saturday morning.  I made wonderful lasagna rolls from a Giada recipe that you can find here.  I have a fear of lasagna, having turned out several runny lasagnas over the years.  These lasagna rolls have never let me down.  It also makes it super-easy to control your portions, because each roll pops out of the pan pretty easily.  I made this dish for a work colleague going through a hard time.  Several of us are bringing her family meals over the next several weeks.  This recipe is perfect for potluck or a company meal.

I got started today about 6PM.  I was planning on making the following recipes:

Baked Shells with Winter Squash

Carrots Halva (sorry, I can't find the recipe on-line; I used a recipe in the cookbook Healthy South Indian Cooking, by local cookbook author Alamelu Vairavan)

Oatmeal Cake with Coconut Icing

First thing is first.  I had to roast the squash (although you can make the recipe with frozen squash).  I had two beautiful delicata squash in my CSA share this week, so I roasted those at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. I just cut them in half, scooped out the seeds and placed them cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet.

They cooked beautifully.  But I got super-hungry, so I decided to hold off on making the rest of the recipe until tomorrow evening.  So I heated a few extra lasagna rolls I had left over from my casserole yesterday.  Yum!

While the lasagna rolls were cooking, I scraped out the squash and placed what I needed in the fridge.  There was a little left over, so I had some squash puree for dinner.  It tasted wonderful; go out and get yourself some squash people!

I then started making the carrots halva.  This is an Indian dish Bruno (the boyfriend) and I had in Madison last weekend.  I just had to try to make it at home, especially because I had four gorgeous carrots in the share this week!  I am not sure this is a super-healthy dish because honestly, it tastes like candy.  One tip from me: instead of toasting the cashews in the oven, toast them in the microwave.  I find it only takes about one minute for a handful of nuts (what I used here) and you don't have to worry about turning on the oven.

So at this point the lasagna rolls were ready, so I had a lovely dinner of squash, halva and lasagna rolls.

After dinner I was back at it.  I needed to make an oatmeal cake for a work colleague's birthday.  I bring a yummy treat into work for office birthdays.  I have a special little table I place outside my office for treats and everything!  I have made oatmeal cake before; this was a repeat performance.  I hope she likes it!  Will keep you updated.

Something to think about: I went for a nice long walk today.  The trees are really changing here in Milwaukee.  There are just a few weeks left where it will be easy to be outside.  What do you want to accomplish before the snow falls?

0 replies:


Sara
Follow Me on Pinterest
Tasty Food Photography eBook

Follow Me On Twitter

Reader Favorites

Topics