Thursday, October 7, 2010

postheadericon CSA planning

Yesterday a work colleague asked me how I handled all the produce I receive in my CSA share.  I participate in  JenEhr Farm's CSA program.  They are high tech farmers and send all their members an e-mail each week letting us know what will be in our share and even some serving suggestions.

I actually have a half share, so I only pick-up every other week.  Today was my pick up day and I now have a huge bag of all sorts of yummies.

The amount of produce can be overwhelming unless you plan ahead.  I have developed a weekly ritual that has served me well over the three years I have been a member.

On Thursday nights, I bring everything home and assess what I have.  I spread it all out on my table.  What is there?  Is there any vegetable I don't recognize?

Then I figure out what I can realistically eat within the week.  If I can't eat the vegetable in a reasonable amount of time, I try and immediately freeze the veggies to use this winter.  For great advice regarding how to freeze almost any vegetables, take a look here.

With what remains, I plan my weekly meals.  I then go shopping for anything I might need on Friday after work.  I have found that the Taste of Home website is a great reference  for yummy and practical vegetable-based meals.  Additionally, Mark Bittman's cookbook, How to Cook Everything Vegetarian is a godsend.  A great investment for anyone wanting to eat more vegetables in their daily regime.

So what is on the menu for this week?  Well I have planned meals featuring salad greens, Swiss chard, beets, carrots and eggplant.  Stay tuned for these recipes and many more great CSA ideas!

Question of the Day: Do you subscribe to a CSA share?  Why or why not?  Do you have any questions for me regarding how a share works and what to expect?

0 replies:


Sara
Follow Me on Pinterest
Tasty Food Photography eBook

Follow Me On Twitter

Reader Favorites

Topics