Wednesday, October 6, 2010

postheadericon Real Women Don't Wear Pink

I just got home from a killer game of tennis.  I play really late in the evening, because they give all the good evening court times to the men's leagues and the ladies leagues are either during the day (hello, I work) or at 8:30 at night (which is when I play).  I have a beef with court times, but I will save that for another post.

What I really want to talk about is the color pink.  This rant comes up every year for me.  October is breast cancer awareness month.  I am very supportive of this cause; one of the reasons I am so dedicated to healthy living is to prevent being diagnosed with cancer and other horrible illnesses.  I don't have a beef with cancer (OK, maybe I do), but seeing so many folks dressed in pink always gets me riled up about this topic.  

My beef comes, then, in the assumption that I want to wear pink all the time because I am a girl.  I just got a wonderful e-mail from my favorite on-line tennis apparel retailer  and I noticed so many of the new arrivals are PINK.  Why do retailers assume all female athletes want to wear is pink?  Is there an assumption we need to look more feminine while we are working out?  Because I already feel pretty womanly in a tennis skirt, thank you very much.  I just don't understand the logic.  Isn't purple the hot color this year?  Nope, everything is pink, pink, pink.

This beef also carries over to another past time of mine, which is following professional sports, especially the Cleveland Indians (and Browns and Packers).  I recently went on-line to find some Indians apparel and guess what?  All the women's fitted items were pink.  I don't want to wear pink, I want to wear Indians team colors!!  Oh this has me all excited this evening.

So do you like to wear pink while working out?  How about when you are cheering on your favorite team?  I would love to hear your thoughts.

0 replies:


Sara
Follow Me on Pinterest
Tasty Food Photography eBook

Follow Me On Twitter

Reader Favorites

Topics