Saturday, July 13, 2013

postheadericon Paris Wine Day Tour

Hello All!  Some of you know that I have been so fortunate to visit Paris the past two summers.  This year, I was able to visit Paris May 20 to 26 and wanted to share with you some of my adventures!

As I had been to Paris before, I really wanted to have some new experiences that would allow me to better understand french culture.  I also wanted to spend more time focused on food and wine this trip, which lead me to looking around Trip Advisor for wine tours near Paris.

I happened to stumble upon Paris Wine Day Tours, which provides English-speaking tourists an authentic wine experience in the Sancerre area of France.  Jean-Bernard is the owner and operator of the company and he seems to accompany all of the tours.  He is very knowledgeable and so sweet/funny...he immediately put me at ease and I didn't feel at all uncomfortable being the "party of one" in the tour.

Jean-Bernard met us at an easy to find bistro in Paris and we loaded up into the Paris WDT van.  Off we went to the south of Paris...even stopping for breakfast and a comfort break on the way!



Our first stop was at a local goat cheese producer, where we sampled different versions of the cheese to get a feel for how aging impacts a cheese.  We were also able to shop in a little shop of locally produced food products.


Tasting how the aging process impacts the taste of goat cheese.


Next we were on a way to one of two wineries in the area, where we met one of the wine makers and, importantly, sampled the wine!  It was great and Jean-Bernard was a great interpreter.


I look like a professional,  no?


In between the two wineries we had a traditional lunch at a local bistro and also spent time at a small (but very informational) wine museum in the small town in the area.


Overlooking the country side. 


 After more wine at the second winery, we were off in the van back to Paris.


Jean-Bernard (in yellow) listening to a wine maker educating us on his craft. 


What a day!  I can't speak highly enough about Jean-Bernard...he was kind, witty and even sent us some photos from our day to download after we got home.


Our group with one of the wine makers...every tour is small enough for you to ask questions, etc.

And most importantly, I learned quite a bit about modern wine making and the issues facing wine makers today.  Although the area we visited is not often times imported to the United States, I brought some wine home with me and continue to feel much more informed when ordering and buying french wines.

So, if you are headed to France, please make arrangements with Jean-Bernard to take a wine tour; you will not regret it!

PS...I used Trip Advisor quite a bit to help me plan my trip.  If you would like to follow me on Trip Advisor, my "handle" is MKEKitchen.

Until next time,

Sara


Photobucket

Sharing this blog here:

Foodie Friends Friday

Flour Me With Love
This Gal Cooks: Marvelous Mondays
Let's Get Social Sunday
Life on Lakeshore Drive
Tuesday Talent Show
Tuesday's Table
Memories By the Mile
White Lights on Wednesday
Live.Laugh.Rowe.

0 replies:


Sara
Follow Me on Pinterest
Tasty Food Photography eBook

Follow Me On Twitter

Reader Favorites

Topics