Tuesday, August 21, 2012

postheadericon Barcelona Bites


Eating in Barcelona

My dad recently sent me an article from the Wall StreetJournal about the wine scene in Barcelona.  On the clipping, he wrote, “Sara – no wonder why you came home with wine from SPAIN.”  And he is right!  When I went to Spain and France earlier this summer, I came home with two bottles of wine; both are from Spain. 

The food and wine of Spain are like no other.  I want to tell you about two great experiences I had in Barcelona – lunch at Bar Mut (featured in the WSJ article, go figure) and Bodega Bonavista, a nearby wine shop that had a great selection of wine and an enthusiastic English-speaking owner. 

Source: elledecor.com via Sea on Pinterest


Bar Mut is a pretty well-known restaurant in Barcelona.  So well-known, it was recommended to  prior to my visit.  I was in Barcelona for a very short time, so I sought out Bar Mut for Sunday lunch.  I got a quick lesson in Spanish culture…I got to the restaurant way too early in the day and ended up interrupting the staff enjoying a communal breakfast on the patio.  Whoops!  

When I returned at a decent time, the staff were terrific.  I had a lovely waiter who made sure I understood the menu and suggested wine accordingly.  Although Bar Mut is very well known for its wine selection, I had the best food I enjoyed during my stay.  I had fresh squid and the BEST spinach salad with goat cheese I have ever had.  Actually, it might be the best salad ever.   The staff was very kind and attentive. 

At the end of the meal, I asked the manager where I might be able to find a wine shop open on Sunday.  He pointed me in the direction of Bodega Bonavista, which was a great choice. 


Source: google.com via Emma on Pinterest

Bodega Bonavista is a small wine shop in the Eixample neighborhood of Barcelona.  It is open Sundays (and probably most other days) and, most importantly, the owner spoke English.  We spent a little time discussing the ins and outs of the different varietals and he helped me choose not only a bold, traditional Spanish wine, but also a more mellow blend of traditional Spanish varietals.  Both easily fit into my suitcase home.    

One of the greatest things I learned from my experience at these two great establishments is to ask questions of locals when traveling (especially when traveling abroad).  I took a chance in asking for a recommendation at Bar Mut; the manager was happy to point me to his favorite wine shop.  At Bodega Bonavista, I asked the owner what he would recommend; the result were two fantastic wines that I have enjoyed as a reminder of my special trip to Spain. 

I wish you happy travels on this Travel Tuesday! 

Until next time, 



Photobucket

0 replies:


Sara
Follow Me on Pinterest
Tasty Food Photography eBook

Follow Me On Twitter

Reader Favorites

Topics